Saturday, December 25, 2010

CNN's Hero of the Year & Generation Y


As I sit here in tears over the beautiful story of Anuradha Koirala who is a woman providing support, shelter and speaking out against human trafficking at the boarder of Nepal and India, she says something that catches my attention. She says roughly pay attention to these youths, pointing to the youths that nominated her. "They are the future generation," she says.

If you haven't heard of Anuradha, please click the link above and read her story. It's a fantastic cause.

Now, getting back to my point, the quote above intrigues me, as I haven't heard it often outside of the typical cliche. To be honest everything I hear about generation y taking over is criticism and concern. I'm not saying that these concerns aren't valid. Trust me, I'm concerned too and I am a member of Gen Y; however, what do we gain out of our elder generations, our mentors, belittling our future instead of teaching us the values, skills or outlooks?

Now, with all due respect I do not mean to pass blame. The only thing that I really want to try to shed light on here is that we can ALL make a difference in the future, big or small. I try to set an example when children are around whether they are my niece and nephews or a random child in a store. I realize that the group of individuals in Gen Y are no longer children, they no longer have to be coddled, pat on the head nor be taken care of. Yet in my book if you have the ability to complain you have the ability to change what you don't like. If you're not making this effort you are no better than those you judge.

Merry-day-after-Christmas, here's a picture from our celebration: Pajama Christmas 2010. Please feel free to share thoughts on the topic above.

No comments:

Post a Comment