Thursday, January 8, 2009

The World's Newest Public Speaker...


...ME! I recently took a new job where I will be speaking to employees from a 7-state territory. Nervous? Not nearly as much as I thought I would be.

This is one of those lifetime defining moments. Throughout my life I have hated public speaking, I was a nervous wreck. Maybe I've just hated the material. In 6th grade I had to give a speech on Barbara Walters. On the notes that my Social Studies teacher graded me, she wrote "You did this weird Shuffly thing with your feet!" Consciously, when I was giving my speech, I thought the "Shuffly thing," made me look natural, like I was comfortable up there (obviously not.) Apparently one of the few photos of me at Union Station is of my back while I'm in a ridiculously large ski coat lighting a cigarette in front of Union Station, DC.

Updates on how I'm surviving Virginia:
Through pure boredom. Obtaining a viable social life is proving very challenging. Frasier reruns followed by Golden Girls reruns have proven to be my most consistent companion. Eek.

1 comment: